Friday, February 13, 2015

Valentine's Day for the Sprout

So just like any self-respecting Pinteresting mommy, I made Valentines for my son, AKA Sprout, to take to daycare. Being that Sprout's only one and a half, I kind of saw this as a low-risk trial run for later Valentine's undertakings. And it's fun. Who am I kidding?

So this is what I pinned:




So I got started by printing out the little circles on regular printer paper. The blogger who created these has a super nifty machine called a Silhouette that cuts stuff out perfectly, and well... I don't. So, scissors!

Cut, cut, cut!
After I was all done cutting them out, I needed to make them stronger somehow. The printer paper alone wasn't going to hold up, and besides, they needed a bit of jazzing up!

I wanted to do something a little more masculine than the pink scalloped border on my pin, so I searched around the craft stash and found some turquoise card stock. I used a glue stick and glued all of the circles down, then just cut around them again, this time leaving a quarter inch border all the way around. Meanwhile, I also print and cut out my tag for the hand soap gift for his daycare provider and glued and trimmed that as well.


The tags came out pretty cute. Some might say they look a little sloppy, but I'd say they have that "handmade" touch with the uneven borders.

        

Next, it was time to trace my little one's hand. Anyone who's ever asked a toddler to hold still for anything knows how big of an accomplishment the tracing job I did is. I amazed myself! He moved at one point and I had to replace his hand over the part we already traced to finish the job. Because I just barely accomplished this is, I cut it out and traced three more, just in case I want to use them for anything.  He ended up ripping one of them, but I still have two more left!


When I got to work, I had one of my teacher's assistants help me string the tags onto the soap and applesauce pouches. Mission accomplished! Happy Valentine's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment